Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sticky Wicket Author given Lifetime Achievement award

Torrential downpours could not dampen the spirit and energy of the Caribbean people during Saturday's 13th annual Caribbean Festival. We danced, ate our fill of roti, curry and jerk, and celebrated our rich heritage, culture and beautiful people.

I would personally like to send my heartfelt thanks to the festival organizers, the South Jersey Caribbean Cultural and Development Organization, for recognizing me as a journalist, author and activist for cricket.
It truly was an honor to be recognized by my own community.

But it would be selfish of me not to turn the spotlight back onto the members of the SJCCDO, which year-after-year takes time to acknowledge and celebrate those of us from the islands who now call South Jersey home. My special thanks goes to Kylla Herbert, the organization's president, for her dedicated service to the Caribbean community.

Keep shining that light on all aspects of our culture - our music, dances, food, literature and sports.

Ewart Rouse

(Please enjoy these photos from the festival.)





No comments:

Post a Comment